Thursday, July 26, 2012

Is it Time for the Kids to Go Back to School Yet? Please!!

Me...on the first day of school!


   I love my kids. Really, I do. But I'm beginning to think that summer vacation should only last two months, not three. There comes a point when "together" time becomes "getting on each others' nerves" time.
   And I just found out I'm not alone.
   I walk with three other moms a few times a week, and, with guilty looks, they all admitted they can't wait for the school year to start.
   At first, the change in our summer routine is great. No lunches to pack. Don't have to be up at the butt crack of dawn. But then the dishes pile up, we can't run the vacuum because the kids are sleeping late, and when we wake up--first cup of coffee still full in our hands--and walk into a room that looks more like a frat house than our nice, organized family room, we want to run away from home.
   But instead of running away for real, I run away to my office and to my computer. After listening to some Christmas music (I have a Christmas novella coming out in December), I spend a few hours with my characters in a snowy mountain cabin. Ahhhh. Much better.
   More kids. More mess, and I pull out my Kindle. Ahhh, much better again. Time to escape by reading a book. Let me head into a world of vampires, magic, and romance, and I forget what was bugging me. Kids? What kids? Mess? What mess? LOL!
   Is that where the term "summer reading" came from? People who wanted to run away, but couldn't, so ran away in their minds?
   Yep. That's the beauty of books. A trip without the hassle of checking your luggage.

Here's hoping you have a reading-filled, peaceful summer!

Jolene's Books on eXtasy: Jolene's eXtasy Author Page
Jolene's Books on Amazon: Jolene's Amazon Author Page






2 comments:

  1. I think its impressive that you are listening to Christmas music during the summer months :o)
    I like your theory of where the term "Summer Reading" came from. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, thanks, BleuAme! I appreciate you appreciating my sense of humor. hahaha! Another perk of the Christmas music is that it cools me off while I listen. :)
    Thanks very much for stopping by. xx

    ReplyDelete